Some selected additional information:
- I am very interested in sport and especially skiing where I in particular have participated and finished the Swedish crosscountry skiing competition “Vasaloppet” (90 km.) at 48 different occasions. Moreover, I have also participated “öppet spår” (90 km) the week before 27 times. In fact, I have participated both “öppet spår” sunday and monday and the ordinary “Vasaloppet” the next sunday at eight occasions. My best time in Vasaloppet is 4.56. also fulfilled 19 marathon runnings (42 km) with the best time 2.49. There are several articles about me also concerning my skiing, see e.g. the the article in Swedish national newspaper Aftonbladet: https://www.aftonbladet.se/halsa/a/KvaEAM/otroliga-sviten-akt-vasaloppet-42-ganger
- I was member for six years of the board NT-R (Mathematics and Technical Mathematics) at the Swedish Research Council which is a government agency that distributes the funding for basic research of the highest quality in Sweden. I was chairman of this board four of these years(2010, 2012-2014). In particular, we early did the following report concerning this (see document “granskning bidrag vetenskapsrådet.pdf” below).
- I am also very involved to make mathematics known in the society outside the university and got a personal award for this in 2008 (Ångpanneföreningens research foundation) of 100 000 SEK. Only one scientist (all subjects) get this award each year. Examples of such external activities are:
a) Popular mathematics lectures in schools etc. As examples see the Power Point slides (see “Related files” below) and the 56 min lecture on Swedish national television (Channel of Knowledge).
b) Development of “A Basic Course in Applied Mathematics” webcourse in applied mathematics mainly for Ph.D. students in other subjects than mathematics, teachers in the Swedish gymnasium and engineers in the industry. The course is partly based on the following course book: J. D. Logan, 1987. Applied Mathematics: A Contemporary Approach, John Wiley & Sons, New York, but it also contains much complementary material developed by myself.
- I have been invited researcher to several universities. For example, in November 2015 I was invited to Collège de France by Pierre-Louis Lions to deliver a series of lectures (only one such invitation per year for researches from abroad).
- There are also a page about me on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars-Erik_Persson
- I have so far been a supervisor of 69 students with PhD exams
- The year 2018 was a dramatic year for LEP (then 74 years old) because
a) he got a very serious heart attack,
b) he was unexpectedly divorced from Luleå University of Technology (the university of his heart in 43 years).
But also under these heavy conditions he, miraculously enough, with support of understanding collaborators, friends, family and several universities around the world, could continue his remarkable successful PhD education now even more with Hotel Infinity as his main basis. In fact, in the period 2018-2022 10 PhD students finalized successfully their PhD exams with LEP as a responsible scientific supervisor (out of the the 69 mentioned above). This supervision by LEP has mainly been done with Hotel Infinity as the main basis. Moreover. at the moment further 5 PhD students are supervised by LEP from this remarkable space, by mathematicians denoted by Hot L\infty.